Sunday, October 11, 2015

Halloween Movie Month: Ghoulies go to College

Ghoulies go to College (a.k.a. Ghoulies III) (1991)
R

The ancient toilet demons return, this time brought to life by a college dean.  Of course, the ghoulies are brought back during college prank week, so all of their shenanigans are believed to be the result of campus fraternities.

I have not seen the first two Ghoulies movies, so I have nothing to compare this one to.  However, I do know that it is about demonic creatures that come from the toilet, so I had a decent idea of what I was getting myself into.  However, just because I knew what I was getting into, that does not necessarily mean that I enjoyed it.

There really isn't much to say about Ghoulies go to College.  The entire movie is a schlocky, pun-filled, early 90s college movie with slapstick humor, sound effects that are worse than a cartoon, swearing, nudity, and cheesy acting.  The Ghoulies movies came out around the same time as Critters and Gremlins, with the sequels all coming out around the same time as well.  I really enjoy Critters  and Gremlins, so I was hoping that Ghoulies would be just as fun.  Instead, it feels like someone said "I want a Gremlins knock-off, but with none of the heart.  And poop jokes.  More poop jokes.  Nope...still more poop jokes."

Rating and Recommendation:  1.5/5.  Ghoulies go to College was pretty stupid, but with just enough bits to where I can see how some people would consider it a cult film.  Since I hadn't seen the first two Ghoulies movies, I did not have any sort of connection to, or fondness of, the characters.  Maybe if I had seen them when I was younger and all the "cool" jokes were poop jokes, I might have enjoyed it more.  As it is, I think that it could be a lot of fun for watching a really stupid movie with some friends, but other than that you can easily pass this one without really missing anything. 


Be sure to check back soon for more reviews in Halloween Movie Month!  In the meantime, leave comments on this (or any other) review, follow me here and on twitter (@GargyleReviews), and let me know what movies you'd like for me to review for Halloween Movie Month!



- The Gargyle

No comments:

Post a Comment