Thursday, March 14, 2013

Happy Pi Day

I'm a fan of themes and traditions.  And I especially like making a tradition out of a theme...even if it's just a minor tradition/theme.  One of those minor tradition/themes is watching Pi every March 14th - Pi Day.

Pi, Darren Aronofsky's feature-length directorial debut, is about a mathematician who believes that pi is the mathematical key to unlocking and predicting the patterns of nature.  There's a bit more to the plot than that. And the film does get a bit darker as it goes along.  But for those of you who have not seen it yet, I do not want to give any spoilers.  Part of the enjoyment of the film is not knowing more than the main character, and going through the experiences with him.  It has been a while (last Pi Day, I believe) since I've seen Pi, but if I remember correctly, there are hardly any scenes that do not involve the main character.  So you only know as much of the story as he knows.  I really like this, because it forces you to examine all of the events as he perceives them, and figure things out for yourself, rather than just seeing everything that happens.  

I have not watched Pi yet today (I will be remedying that shortly), so it has been too long since I've seen it to post a full review.  I will eventually be posting a full review, but that is not going to be able to happen tonight. But I have seen Pi enough to be able to give my recommendation.  If you are a fan of Darren Aronofsky, or of dark, cerebral dramas, then you will most likely enjoy Pi.  Since it was his first feature-length film, it is not nearly as refined as some of his later works.  But, as a fan of independent films, that adds to my enjoyment of the film.  I am glad that his work and production quality have improved with time (and money), but I love being able to watch directors' early films...it shows their passion for film and film-making.  If you tend to steer clear of films that get a bit dark, then you will probably not enjoy Pi.  Although, Darren Aronofsky's films have certainly gotten darker over the years...so Pi will probably be the most accessible of his works, for those who do not like their film too dark.

The re-watchability alone makes Pi a must-buy for me - especially now that it has become part of my tradition to watch it every 3-14.  But, aside from my geeky tradition, the DVD does have a few good extras (to be covered in my full review) that add to the buy-appeal of the film.  Plus, there is a DVD double-pack with Pi and Requiem for a Dream.  So if you are a fan of Darren Aronofsky's, and do not have either of his earlier films, the double-pack might be a good buy for you.  Of course, it's extremely rare that I've met anyone who says that Requiem for a Dream is high on their rewatchability list.  But, that is a topic for another review.

Be sure to check back soon for more reviews and recommendations.  But for now, go watch Pi.  Happy Pi Day everyone!!

-GR  

No comments:

Post a Comment